Laundry. It’s a never ending battle I tell you. Especially in a large family. But, if you’re tired of fighting the laundry monster, there is hope!
But I’ve recently discovered a new weapon in the battle against the laundry pile. I don’t know why I just found out about this feature–I’ve had the same washer practically forever. I should have noticed it before. After all, I use this feature on my oven frequently.
It’s called delay.
Are you ready to see how this button changed my laundry routine? It only takes a few steps.
My Laundry Pile Cure
1. At night, after the kids are in their jammies, they bring their dirty clothes to the washer, and load them up.
2. After everyone is changed, I send one of the kids to gather any remaining laundry (usually from Owen, Simon or Bryanna, who don’t yet bring their own to me.)
3. I add soap to the washer.
3. I select the wash cycle and ensure all of the settings are where I want them.
4. The delay button is hit. One hit for every hour. I want it to start at 4:00 a.m., so I do some quick math and add that many hours. If I am starting this at 9 p.m., I put the delay on 7 hour delay.
5. I push start and walk away.
7. I wake up in the morning at 5:00 a.m. to clean clothes waiting for me.
8. I hang up the laundry on the clothesline, or throw it in the dryer.
See? It’s easy!
I have no clothes to find in secret hiding spots in bedrooms. There is no longer a huge pile of dirty laundry in the bathroom.
Yes, I still have to wash bedding, towels, and specialty items (delicate) during the day. But my huge pile of clothes waiting for me? Yeah–that is gone! Gone I tell you!
My laundry pile is getting tamed, slowly but surely.
Does your washer have a delay feature? Check it out and let me know if you try (or already use) this little button.
This post was originally published on Jul 30, 2015. It’s been updated and refreshed.