Are you looking for a Thanksgiving family fun idea? This game is simple, and perfect for players of all ages!
Have you ever played the game Would You Rather from Zobmondo ? It’s a fun family favorite. And one that we modified the rules of to make it inclusive for younger kids. We even changed things up so you can play it in the car if you’d like!
So, if you’re looking for a fun game to play while you’re in the car driving to Grandmother’s house, or to try to keep the kids engaged while you’re waiting on the turkey to finish cooking, give this a try!
It’s the perfect game for some Thanksgiving family fun.
Thanksgiving Would You Rather
If you’ve never played the offical game before, don’t worry! You do not need to own it to play this fun Thanksgiving themed game. In fact, you don’t need anything. No supplies necessary – which makes it a great game for on the road or at someone else’s’ house.
As a family, pick a theme for your questions. This version is obviously about Thanksgiving, but you can do this around whatever theme you’d like.
One person goes first. This person needs to ask the other players, “Would you rather…” and then think of two choices. So they’d say, “Would you rather (option A) or (option B)?”
Then, the other players all answer. And no – you can’t make up your own answer. You have to pick one of the two.
Once everyone has answered, take turns letting everyone explain why they picked what they did. Don’t over complicate this step, and do keep age and ability in mind as you hear everyone’s answers.
The first round is now over. Pick another player to ask questions. Keep taking turns until you run out of ideas or until the food is ready!
Learn more about your kids…
One thing I really appreciate about this simply Thanksgiving game is that it lets me connect with my kids. I get to see how they are thinking and learn more about them. It really is simple and can provide some neat insight into their personality.
Sample Would You Rather: Thanksgiving Theme Questions
Wondering what types of questions you should ask? Here are 20 to get you started. I’m sure you’ll be able to think of several more!
Would you rather…
- Eat 1 pickle or eat 10 olives?
- Eat only desserts or eat only appetizers?
- Play a game you love but everyone else hated, or play one that you hated but everyone else loved?
- Eat turkey with your fingers or pie with your fingers?
- Not have cranberries or not have mashed potatoes?
- Get up early to go shopping on Black Friday, or not shop for a month?
- Eat a whole turkey or 5 turkey legs?
- Have an apple pie or a pumpkin pie in a pie eating contest?
- Have a piece of pumpkin pie with no whipped cream, or a piece of chocolate pie with no whipped cream?
- Stay home for Thanksgiving or go somewhere else?
- Watch sports or a sappy Christmas movie for Thanksgiving?
- Eat everything with your non-dominant hand or with a spoon?
- Eat potatoes without gravy or eat turkey without stuffing?
- Not have any butter on your plate or not have anything to drink until you’re done eating?
- Stand on one foot while you eat or sit on a wobbly stool?
- Sit next to someone who smells bad or sit next to someone who steals food off your plate?
- Wear a fancy dress/suit or wear your pajamas to the dinner?
- Sing a song about a turkey by yourself or be in a play about the pilgrims with other people?
- Build a turkey out of Legos or a build pumpkin out of building blocks?
- Live inside a pumpkin or live inside a turkey?
As you can see, the questions can be anything! We have so much Thanksgiving family fun playing this each year. The questions are always unique! You can see what your kids can come up with.
And, if you run out of Thanksgiving themed questions, you can switch it up with a new theme. Here are five that we enjoy:
- Bible Stories
- Winter (or any other season)
Thanksgiving Family Fun!
No matter who you spend it with, or what games you play, I hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving and make lots of memories.
This post was originally published in November 2016. It’s been updated and refreshed.